Call For Proposals
National Women’s Studies Association 2017
Fat Studies Interest Group
November 16-19th in Baltimore, MD
Papers on any topic at the intersection of women’s studies/ feminism/ womanism/ gender/sexuality and fat studies will be considered. This year’s conference theme is: 40 Years after Combahee: Scholars and Activists Engage the Movement for Black Lives.
Your submission should fall under one of the sub-themes for NWSA 2017. Detailed descriptions can be found under the full CFP at: http://www.nwsa.org/Files/2017/CFPFinal2017.pdf)
- Solidarities: Trans-national and local
- Arts and culture: How is social media & visual culture changing how we view, engage & change the world?
- Revisiting intersectionality in theory and practice
- Engaging, confronting and transcending the state
- Sexualities and representations
- Movement building and freedom-making
- Violence, militarism, empire and trauma
While this is an open call, topic suggestions include, but are not limited to:
- Women of Color and Fatness/Body Size
- Transnational Fat Bodies (immigration, globalization)
- Fat Sexualities (including asexuality, hypersexuality, deviant sexualities)
- Fat Activism & Intersectionality
- Fatness & Institutions
- Visual culture, social media, and fat activism
- Fat Masculinities
- Defining and Refining Fat Studies
- Fat Feminist Research Methods (including role of the researcher body)
If you are interested in being a part of the 2017 Fat Studies panels at NWSA, please send the following info by Wednesday, February 15, 2017 to NWSA Fat Studies Interest Group. CC BOTH Co-Chairs Katie Manthey and Candice Casas: (Katie.email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org). Please make sure one of us confirms receipt of your submission.
Your submission should include your:
- Name, Institutional Affiliation, Snail Mail, Email, Phone
- NWSA Theme your paper fits under (and fat studies topic area/s if yours fits any of the above)
- Title for your talk
- A one-page, double-spaced abstract in which you lay out your topic AND its relevance to this session
- An abstract of no more than 100 words (NWSA requirement)
- Rationale for A/V equipment, if needed
Each person will speak for around 15 minutes, which will leave time for Q&A. In order to present with your name in the program, you must become a member of NWSA in addition to registering for the conference by the NWSA summer 2017 deadline.
If you submit a fat studies related paper or panel, you can tag it with the keyword ‘fat feminisms,’ and likewise search the program for ‘fat feminisms’ to find relevant panels. If you submit a paper or panel on your own, we encourage you to use this keyword if your paper or panel fits the bill. We thank NWSA for adding a keyword that helps conference attendees locate fat studies panels.