Please repost widely!
Call For Proposals
National Women’s Studies Association 2016
Fat Studies Interest Group
November 10-13th in Montréal, Quebec
Papers on any topic at the intersection of women’s studies/ feminism/ womanism/ gender/ sexuality and fat studies will be considered. This year’s conference theme is: Decoloniality. Your submission should also fall under one of the following sub-themes for NWSA 2016:
• Unsettling Settler Logics
• Movements and Migrations
• Bodies and Biopolitics
• Borders and Be/longings
• World-Making and Resistant Imaginaries
NWSA has detailed descriptions of the subthemes under the full CFP and can be found at: http://www.nwsa.org/Files/2016/2016.NWSA.CFP.pdf
While this is an open call, topic suggestions include, but are not limited to:
• Transnational Fat Bodies (immigration, globalization)
• Fatness & Institutions
• Fat & Containment
• Fat Feminist Vulnerability
• Fat Masculinities
• Fat Sexualities (including asexuality, hypersexuality, deviant sexualities)
• Defining and Refining Fat Studies
• Women of Color and Fatness/Body Size
• Fat Feminist Research Methods (including role of the researcher body)
• Fat Activism & Feminism If you are interested in being a part of the 2016 Fat Studies panels at NWSA, please send the following info by Wednesday, February 15, 2016 to NWSA Fat Studies Interest Group. CC BOTH Co-Chairs Katie Manthey and Candice Casas: (Katie.email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org). Please make sure one of us confirms receipt of your submission. Your submission should include your:
*Name, Institutional Affiliation, Snail Mail, Email, Phone.
*NWSA Theme your paper fits under (and fat studies topic area/s if yours fits any of the above).
*Title for your talk
*A one-page, double-spaced abstract in which you lay out your topic AND its relevance to this session.
*a 100 word truncated abstract (NWSA requirement). *rationale for A/V equipment, if needed
Each person will speak for around 15 minutes, and we will leave time for Q&A. In order to present with your name in the program, you must become a member of NWSA in addition to registering for the conference by NWSA’s summer 2016 deadline.
If you submit a fat studies related paper or panel, you can tag it with the keyword ‘fat feminisms,’ and likewise search the program for ‘fat feminisms’ to find relevant panels. If you submit a paper or panel on your own, we encourage you to use this keyword if your paper or panel fits the bill. We thank NWSA for adding a keyword that helps conference attendees locate fat studies panels.